For the Cake: 1 cup unsalted butter, 3 cups sieved plain flour, 1 1/2 cups sugar, 4 large eggs, 2 tsps. baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 cup milk, zest of 2 lemons. For the Glaze: 1/3 cup Cognac, 1/3 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar. For Decorating: 24 Candied Lemon Slices, Candied Kumquats
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees; butter and flour two 6-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, alternating with milk, mixing well after each addition. Stir in lemon zest.
4. Place 2 3/4 cups batter in each prepared cake pan. Transfer to oven and bake until a cake tester inserted into the centers comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly in pans; invert cake onto a wire rack.
5. Make the Glaze: In a small bowl, mix together Cognac, lemon juice, and sugar until sugar is dissolved. Brush glaze over cake and let cool completely. Serve with candied lemon slices and kumquats.